Toronto Loft Conversions

I know classic brick and beam lofts! From warehouses to factories to churches, Laurin will help you find your perfect new loft.

Modern Toronto Lofts

Not just converted lofts, I can help you find the latest cool and modern space. There are tons of new urban spaces across the city.

Unique Toronto Homes

Not just lofts, we can also help you find that perfect house. From the latest architectural marvel to a piece of our Victorian past, the best and most creative spaces abound.

Condos in Toronto

I started off selling mainly condos, helping first time buyers get a foothold in the Toronto real estate market. Now working with investors and helping empty nesters find that perfect luxury suite.

Toronto Real Estate

For all of your Toronto real estate needs, contact Laurin. I am dedicated to helping you find that perfect and unique new home to call your own.

 

Toronto Real Estate

Featured Listing Title

 

Glebe Lofts 660 Pape AvenueThe Glebe Lofts at 660 Pape Avenue – Here Is Your Chance To Live In A Unique Two-Storey Loft In This Amazing Church Conversion At Pape And Danforth. Approximately 1,272 Square Feet In Size, This Spacious Loft Offers A Large Master With 4Pc Ensuite And A Spacious Second Floor Den. Hardwood Flooring Throughout And Granite Counters. Freshly Painted In Designer Colors. Large Pantry In Kitchen, Perfect For A Chef. Too Many Upgrades To List. Bright, West Exposure With Balcony. CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS

Favourite Real Estate Sections

 

Toronto Loft Conversions Toronto Soft Lofts

 

Toronto Condos for Sale Toronto Houses for Sale

 

Toronto Home Buyers Toronto Home Sellers

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CENTURY 21 is the only real estate organization that can reward our clients with AIR MILES reward miles on their real estate transaction.

Century 21 Air Miles Reward Program

Merchandise Lofts – 135 & 155 Dalhousie Street

The Merch. This is the big one, probably one of the best-known loft conversions in all of Toronto. How can you miss it, all the different phases and parts of the complex cover almost an entire city block. The Merchandise Building consists of 504 lofts, 529 above-grade parking spaces, 246 bicycle spaces, 4 loading bays, a 30,000-square-foot food store, and 35,300 square feet of
retail and office space. It is a small town unto itself!

Merchandise Lofts - 155 Dalhousie Street

The Merchandise Lofts money shot showing the different phases of construction

The 12-storey warehouse conversion has nine styles of loft, ranging in size from 565 square feet to 1,765 square feet. Though I am pretty sure that Deadmau5’s place is more like 2,500sf. It was completed in February 2000 by Cresford Development Inc. and is one of the best Art Deco style buildings left in Toronto – and one of only a few Art Deco lofts (along with Tip Top Lofts, Forest Hill Lofts and a couple of others).

Merchandise Lofts - 155 Dalhousie Street

The main entrance of the Merchandise Lofts at 155 Dalhousie Street

The Merchandise Lofts is so large that it has 2 addresses – the main one at 155 Dalhousie and the smaller, not-quite-separate building at 135 Dalhousie. Plus there is even a back entrance at 108 Mutual. The massive loft conversion is split into 4 different condo corporations. The 3 phases of 155 Dalhousie is made up of MTCC 1247, 1314 and 1369, while 135 Dalhousie is condo corp 1565.

Merchandise Lofts - 155 Dalhousie Street

Lofts on higher floors of the Merchandise Building have great views of downtown Toronto

When entering the Merchandise Lofts, you take one elevator from street level up to the 4th floor, where you then head off to the phase you are going to. Then you take another elevator to your destination loft. This is when you start to understand the size of this old warehouse.

Merchandise Lofts - 155 Dalhousie Street

The “bowling alley” style of many of the Merchandise Lofts

As the building is so large, the lofts tend to be deep, long and skinny with a window only at one end. The hard lofts in the Merchandise Building have 12-foot ceilings with exposed duct work, polished concrete floors and mushroomed concrete pillars –  evidence of the building’s roots. Open plans and modern finishes, with light through massive windows, provide a feeling of spaciousness even in the smaller layouts.

Merchandise Lofts - 135 and 155 Dalhousie Street

If you have the budget, the larger and wider units are the way to go. Huge windows and high ceilings are what lofts are all about! Very much concrete…

As with most loft conversions in Toronto, there is little in the way of outdoor space. Old factories and warehouses just didn’t have balconies… But there are some private balconies at The Merch, though they open into an open air atrium of sorts, a courtyard, and do not look outward. But there is a huge rooftop common area, possibly the best in the city. It has great views, is a very social place, and has BBQs for residents to use. There is even a dog walk area on the roof!

Merchandise Lofts - 135 and 155 Dalhousie Street

The amazing rooftop of the Merchandise Lofts with views for miles

This landmark industrial complex was built in stages between 1916 and 1950. Over the course of the twentieth century the buildings functioned as the administrative centre and warehouse for the Simpson, Simpsons-Sears and Sears Canada mail-order business. Orders were processed and goods sent from this site (as well as from smaller facilities in Regina and Halifax) to customers across the country. In the late 1990s the building started to be converted to lofts, a process that took many years. It was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act in 1997 and Heritage Toronto in 2005.

Merchandise Lofts - 135 and 155 Dalhousie Street

A 1916 ad to announce the new Simpson’s “Service” Building, the Mutual Street addition to the 1910 original building at 135 Dalhousie. Note the mention of it being fireproof.

The original building was designed by Chicago architect Max Dunning and the Toronto firm of Burke Horwood and White. In later years, matching additions were built to the north. The section of the complex fronting on Dalhousie Street – an extension of the earlier building behind it – was designed by Frank S. Corley in 1949 in the unadorned International Style. Its facade was changed to match the older Mutual Street side when the complex was converted to lofts.

Merchandise Lofts - 135 and 155 Dalhousie Street

Testing the strength of the floors of the new building in 1916

The Merchandise Building is a classic example of the renowned early 20th-century industrial Chicago School architectural style. It is a loft conversion of a historic warehouse located in downtown Toronto on Dalhousie Street, next door to Ryerson University and close to the Eaton Centre. Built in various stages from 1910-1949 for the Simpson’s department store, and later owned by Sears Canada after Simpson’s demise, the Merchandise Building at over 1,000,000 square feet is one of the largest buildings by floor area in downtown Toronto.

Merchandise Lofts - 135 and 155 Dalhousie Street

This photo from November 1920 shows just how large the Merchandise Building was – and still is –  looming over the corner of Dundas and Mutual Streets

This building is larger than life, and residents could survive without ever leaving the building. There is a Metro Supermarket on the ground floor, an indoor basketball court, a fully equipped gym, a meeting room, games room, sauna and spa. The rooftop offers a swimming pool, party room, BBQ area and dog walk area. The social life in the merchandise lofts is another wonderful selling feature.

Merchandise Lofts - 135 and 155 Dalhousie Street

The swimming pool on the roof of the Merchandise Lofts. Swimming. On. The. Roof.

The oldest part of the site is a six-story manufactory built in 1910 at 135 Dalhousie Street for Simpson’s delivery business. Behind it, on Mutual Street, the growing company added the “Robert Simpson Co Ltd Mail-Order Building” in 1914, a large distribution warehouse. Further expansion occurred in the years 1931-1949, tripling the size of the building, yet still conforming to the clean lines of the original design. The main architect was Max Dunning of the firm of Burke, Horwood and White. This noted Canadian firm’s other work in Toronto includes the Bell Media building (what most of us know as the Much Music Building)on Queen Street West and the Simpsons (now The Bay) flagship store at the corner of Yonge and Queen Streets. Contrary to popular belief, Dunning and his firm were not responsible for the Tip Top Tailor building – although sharing many design aspects with the Merchandise Building, it was produced in the year 1929 by the firm of Bishop & Miller.

Merchandise Lofts - 135 and 155 Dalhousie Street

The Merchandise Building, seen looking south on Dalhousie Street from Gerard in 1950

The Robert Simpson Co. Ltd. Mail-Order Building incorporated many features, that while commonplace today, were relatively novel at the time – a steel structure, reinforced, fire-proof concrete, well-positioned emergency stairwells, and large windows for natural light. The building’s water needs were assisted by a 40,000 gallon rooftop water tower (which I wish had remained).

Merchandise Lofts - 135 and 155 Dalhousie Street

The lobby of the Merchandise Lofts is full of great historical photos

In 1953, Simpsons joined forces with Sears-Roebuck & Co. of Chicago in forming a 50/50 ownership in a new company, Simpsons-Sears Limited. The new firm took control of Simpson’s catalogue and mail-order business and would open new Sears-style department stores in markets not already served by Simpsons. It was seen as better-suited to compete with the strong T. Eaton Co. catalogue business and to use Sears marketing principles to expand into smaller Canadian rural and suburban markets.

Merchandise Lofts - 135 and 155 Dalhousie Street

The Merchandise Lofts stands tall at the corner of Dalhousie and Gould

The Toronto Mail Order Building complex – which eventually came to be known by the less cumbersome name of “the Mutual Street Building”, continued to serve the needs of Simpsons-Sears. In 1971, the complex was connected to the department store chain’s new head office building at 222 Jarvis Street. (The Government of Ontario chose 222 Jarvis Street as a model to show that older buildings can be retrofitted to significantly reduce a building’s carbon footprint. The building achieved LEED Gold status for the building and now houses four ministries: Ministry of Government Services, Energy and Infrastructure, Research and Innovation, Economic Development and Trade, and Training, Colleges and Universities.)

Merchandise Lofts - 135 and 155 Dalhousie Street

The bridge between the Simpson’s warehouse and their head office, as seen in April of 1971

In January 1979, the venerable Hudson’s Bay Company (HBC) bought Simpsons Limited in a hostile takeover, following a stalled and subsequently failed merger attempt between Simpsons and Simpsons-Sears. Simpsons-Sears continued to operate on its own, out from under its former parent, until 1984, when its name was changed to Sears Canada Inc. In 1991, HBC retired the Simpson’s brand, either merging the remaining (Toronto-area) stores into the Bay banner or selling them off to Sears, depending on the location.

Merchandise Lofts - 135 and 155 Dalhousie Street

The Merchandise Building, still in use back in the 1980s

The Sears catalogue business continued after the Simpsons sale to HBC and Sears Canada continued to use the Mutual Street Building as a warehouse until the 1990s, before moving out and consolidating all its GTA catalogue operations at new distribution/warehouse logistics centres in Belleville and Vaughan. Sears then sold the Mutual Street property for development.

Merchandise Lofts - 135 and 155 Dalhousie Street

Concrete floors and ceilings, combined with mushroom columns

Luckily, the new mayor of Toronto, Barbara Hall, had relaxed zoning restrictions in certain areas of the downtown core, allowing redevelopment of under-used or empty 19th and 20th century factories and warehouses. At one point there was talk of converting the warehouse into public housing, but the City wound up selling the property to Cresford Developments. Back in the mid-1990s when this all started, the project was one of the earlier and by far the largest warehouse loft conversions in Toronto. It is still the largest loft conversion, by far.

Merchandise Lofts - 135 and 155 Dalhousie Street

Concrete, big windows, nice views… you get the idea if you have read this far

The ambitious plan to completely modernize the building was delayed by a general construction strike and a spectacular 3 alarm fire, started when a worker tossed a cigarette butt into one of the old freight elevator shafts, landing on a massive pile of debris. The huge pile burned for hours, but the building did not, testament to the original designer’s intent in 1914 to create a structure as fire-proof as possible.

Merchandise Lofts - 135 and 155 Dalhousie Street

The gym at the Merchandise Lofts – where heavy things are lifted

Among the many modernizations is a green roof and coated windows to reduce energy loss. The roof is landscaped with a prairie meadow growing in two green roof plots. The green roof proper is approximately 10,000 square feet and is surrounded by an additional 15,000 square feet of hard surface concrete pavers. The total redesign and regeneration of this 1,070,000-square-foot complex is believed to be the largest of its kind in North America.

Merchandise Lofts - 135 and 155 Dalhousie Street

Trust me, The Merch is an amazing place to live.

Other environmental upgrades include a “Tri-Sorter” recycling chute that accommodates 3 types of waste. The entire building is wired with fibre-optic cable, has a rooftop pool, patio, and dog-walking area, and all the usual amenities in a large condominium. The noted interior design team of Simone-Ciccone and the award winning designer Brian Gluckstein produced between them nine different loft layouts with over sixty variations. Notable interior features include 8-foot sliding barn doors, 12-foot concrete ceilings with support pillars, and ten foot windows.

Merchandise Lofts - 135 and 155 Dalhousie Street

The basketball half-court set up at the Merchandise Lofts – wanna shoot some hoops?

When it was finally completed in the late 1990s, the project garnered several awards including a commendation from Heritage Toronto and awards from the Greater Toronto Home Builders Association. The conversion even pleased the notoriously critical architecture writer for the Toronto Star, Christopher Hume, who gave the project an “A”. The Merchandise Building was one of the first large redevelopment projects east of Yonge Street, and sparked other projects in the area such as the conversion of the Toronto RCMP Building into the luxury Grand Hotel, the old CBC building on Jarvis Street into the new headquarters of the National Ballet School, and the storied Maple Leaf Gardens into a Loblaw’s supermarket and Ryerson University athletic centre.

—————————————————————————————————–
Contact Laurin Jeffrey for more information – 416-388-1960

Laurin Jeffrey is a Toronto real estate agent with Century 21 Regal Realty.
He did not write every article, some are reproduced here for people who
are interested in Toronto real estate. He does not work for any builders.

—————————————————————————————————–

Medland Lofts – 235 Medland Street

Medland Lofts is a conversion of an early 20th-century Art Deco style building into ten creative urban living spaces. Nine of the lofts are two storey spaces on the second floor. These lofts all open onto private roof terraces – perfect for outdoor entertaining and summer BBQs. One main floor loft offers street level access and a private entrance, and is great for someone seeking a live/work space.

Medland Lofts - 235 Medland Street

The Medland Lofts at the corner of Medland Street and Dundas West

The Medland Lofts are located in the west Toronto neighborhood of The Junction, what has been named one of the top ten places to live by a number of different media. Home to artists, galleries, small businesses and restaurants, the neighborhood enjoys a strong sense of urban community.

Medland Lofts - 235 Medland Street

Some of the Medland Lofts have exposed brick, but not all

In the early 1980s the Malta Band Club moved into to the property at 235 Medland Street in the heart of the Junction. Support for the band and the club had increased to a point where they outgrew their previous facilities at the YWCA. A short time later the Malta Band Club purchased the Medland Street property and completed extensive renovations that culminated in the official opening of the newly revitalized premises in 1984.

Medland Lofts - 235 Medland Street

I have no idea when the addition as added to the Medland Lofts

It was then converted to lofts by 235 Medland St. Inc. in 2005, not in 1998 as everyone seems to think. It appears from old listings that the person behind the conversion was a Realtor, as the sales all note that the seller is a Realtor. Since Fred Dyer of Sutton Group was the listing agent, I have a sneaky suspicion it was him. And since his name as listed as seller on a lot of the land registry files, it seems a safe assumption. But there is nothing showing prior to 2005. Not sure if Mr. Dyer bought the building from the band or how it went from them in 1984 to lofts in 2005. And there is just a huge blank from 1984 back.

Medland Lofts - 235 Medland Street

Most of the Medland Lofts are more like townhouses

1924 Goad’s map shows something on the corner, but I cannot tell what it is. There are a ton of Toronto Archives photos from the 1920s that show the general area, but there is nothing that definitively shows the corner and what was there. The 1913 Goad’s map also shows something on the corner, something that looks the same as the 1924 and matches the shape of the building today. Going back to 1910 and we see something different, something that looks like rowhouses. Thus, I would like to think that 235 Medland was built sometime back between 1910 and 1913, but there is just no way to know for sure.

Medland Lofts - 235 Medland Street

The Medland Lofts do have lovely outdoor space

The Junction is one of the hottest neighbourhoods in Toronto and hasn’t reached its peak yet. The revitalization continues as the coolest shops and services continue to open. Even The New York Times loves it! 235 Medland is in the heart of it. Walk out your door to all the action.

Medland Lofts - 235 Medland Street

The Medland Lofts are in The Junction, one of Toronto’s trendiest neighbourhoods

Dubbed the “next West Queen West,” this area is well known for its enduring sense of urban community, its popularity among artists, its growing number of restaurants, and its position near the West Toronto Rail Path, a multi-use path that seeks to connect Parkdale, Roncesvalles, The Junction, High Park, Brockton, Beaconsfield, Liberty Village, Trinity-Niagara and Dundas West.

—————————————————————————————————–
Contact Laurin Jeffrey for more information – 416-388-1960

Laurin Jeffrey is a Toronto real estate agent with Century 21 Regal Realty.
He did not write every article, some are reproduced here for people who
are interested in Toronto real estate. He does not work for any builders.

—————————————————————————————————–

Massey Harris Lofts – 915 King Street West

The Massey Harris Lofts, constructed in 1885, were converted from the red brick office building that was designed by Edward James Lennox, one of Toronto’s leading architects (who would go on to design Old City Hall). The red brick office building was designated a heritage property by the City of Toronto in 2008 (after being listed in 1983). When the company that would eventually evolve into Varity Corp. vacated the lands in 1986, the majority of the industrial buildings were demolished with the exception of 915 King Street West. The area was rezoned as residential 10 years later.

Massey Harris Lofts - 915 King Street West

Massey Harris Lofts at 915 King Street West is one of the last remaining examples of Victorian industrial architecture once so prevalent in this area of Toronto

The building was constructed as the administrative offices for the Massey Manufacturing Company, with additions after the firm became known as Massey-Harris Limited. Historical records indicate that a two-storey building was completed at the north end of the site in 1885, with the third floor and a three-storey south wing added in two stages before World War I.

Massey Harris Lofts - 915 King Street West

The Massey Ferguson office building, a composite I made from 3 images taken sometime between 1977 and 1998. Probably in the late 1980s, as it appears to be empty the cars are quite dated.

The Massey-Harris Office Building is a representative example of a late 19th century commercial building that was constructed in stages, with the different sections united stylistically by the application of Classical details. You can really see the different stages of construction these days, now that the building stands alone and you can clearly side the sides. Of particular importance are the series of bay windows on the original building, and the sculptural detailing above the main entrance and on the large pediment on the north side.

Massey Harris Lofts - 915 King Street West

The Massey Harris office building on King Street West probably in the early 1980s

The Massey-Harris history starts the wilds of southern Ontario, just before the middle of the 19th century. Daniel Massey was 49 in 1847 when he turned over operation of his successful farm to his 21-year-old son, Hart. To thresh his wheat, Massey visited Watertown, N.Y., and brought back a crude threshing machine and a horse power. It was likely the acquisition of this thresher that spurred the elder Massey’s interest in labor-saving farm machinery (some accounts characterize it as more of an obsession). Determined to become a manufacturer, he took a partner, R.F. Vaughan, who owned a small foundry and machine shop, but who was starving for capital. The two men began to manufacture simple implements such as plows, harrows, cultivators and rollers using iron castings and wood. The new company prospered, with Massey buying out his partner after only a year. In 1849, he moved the plant to larger quarters in nearby Newcastle, Ontario, on the main road into Toronto.

Massey Harris Lofts - 915 King Street West

King Street West, looking towards Strachan, lined with Massey-Harris buildings. The office that became the Massey Harris Lofts is at left, in front of the CN Tower.

By 1851, business was so brisk that Massey brought his son, Hart, into the business as factory superintendent. The Massey company was already building a reaper and Hart obtained rights to build the Ketchum mower as well. The business continued to grow. In 1855, Daniel Massey retired and Hart became the boss.

Massey Harris Lofts - 915 King Street West

The Massey Harris Lofts are a great example of a heritage brick-and-beam loft conversion

John Harris moved to western Ontario, not far from Brantford, in 1816. Mechanically inclined, Alanson ran a sawmill for 15 years before moving to Beamsville, a small town near the southwestern shore of Lake Ontario just east of Hamilton. In 1857, Harris bought a small factory to manufacture a wooden revolving hay rake that had been invented by his father, plus a few other simple farm implements. Soon Harris was able to buy a steam engine for the shop. He took his son, John, into the business in 1863. John Harris acquired the rights to the Kirby mower and reaper and before long the Harris firm was a strong competitor to Massey.

Massey Harris Lofts - 915 King Street West

While none of the Massey Harris Lofts are terribly large, they all have tons of character

Both the Harris and Massey enterprises expanded rapidly and soon each made its presence felt. Incorporated as the Massey Manufacturing Company in 1870, nine years later the firm moved to a six-acre site in Toronto. Hundreds of workers were employed to produce agricultural implements that were shipped worldwide. Then Harris introduced a new design for a binder, which saw Harris begin to overtake Massey in the lucrative export market. That got Hart Massey’s attention and he made overtures to the Harris family. In spring 1891, after lengthy and very secret negotiations, the North American public and the implement industry were astonished by the announcement that Massey and Harris would henceforth be known as the Massey-Harris Co., Ltd.

Massey Harris Lofts - 915 King Street West

You will find high ceilings and raised kitchens in the Massey Harris Lofts

Toronto was a major city back in those days. Not only was Gooderham the largest distiller in the world, but Massey-Harris was the largest producer and exporter of its type in the British Empire in the late 19th century. It was known as Massey-Ferguson (a name well-known to those of us who grew up in small towns) from 1958 until 1987 when the company was taken over by the Varity Corporation.

Massey Harris Lofts - 915 King Street West

Inside the old Massey-Harris office building. Probably sometime after they went under in 1986. Deterioration is pretty bad, so it is likely even as late as the early to mid-1990s.

The original portion of the Massey-Harris Office Building facing onto King Street was designed by famed Toronto architect E. J. Lennox. Following an apprenticeship with architect William Irving and a short-lived partnership with Frederick McCaw, Lennox embarked on a solo career in 1881. His association with the Massey family began immediately, as Lennox prepared the plans for this office building and a residence for Hart Massey’s son, Charles, on Jarvis Street, as well as supervising the alterations to Hart Massey’s neighbouring house, Euclid Hall (which is now the Keg Mansion). Growing to become one of the largest practices in Canada, Lennox was selected to design Toronto’s third City Hall (now known as Old City Hall) in 1886. While this civic project lasted over a decade, during the 1890s Lennox accepted additional commissions from the Massey family, including the Fred Victor Mission (named for Hart Massey’s youngest son) and the Massey Mausoleum in Mount Pleasant Cemetery.

Massey Harris Lofts - 915 King Street West

Cecconi Simone-designed kitchens in the boutique Massey Harris Lofts at 915 King Street West

The south additions to the building were undertaken by George M. Miller, who established his architectural practice in Toronto in 1885. Like Lennox, Miller was known for his association with the Massey family, beginning with his work as a consultant on Massey Hall (originally known as Massey Music Hall) in 1894. During the next decade, Miller designed the City Dairy and Stables (1900 and 1909) on Spadina Crescent for Walter Massey, oversaw further modifications to Euclid Hall in 1900, and prepared plans for the Lillian Massey Household Sciences Building at Victoria College (1908-1912).

Massey Harris Lofts - 915 King Street West

Walls from 1885 speak to west Toronto’s Victorian industrial heritage

The Massey-Harris Office Building is the last surviving example from the complex of industrial buildings that the company developed on both sides of King Street West, west of Strachan Avenue. With its sculptural detailing, the building is local landmark and a reminder of the historical development of the area. Rather than try to reproduce it all here, check out this page at blogTO for a new photo essay on what King Street West used to look like not that long ago.

Massey Harris Lofts - 915 King Street West

The Massey Harris Lofts offer loft living with a boutique atmosphere like no other in Toronto.

Located at 915 King Street West, the Massey Harris Lofts managed to retain more than 90% of the significant building’s traditional Georgian exterior. Preserved and restored, the interior contains 46 one-of-a-kind loft residences with ceilings ranging up to 17’6″. That total includes eight two-level penthouses on top of the building in an addition whose contemporary glass and aluminum façade elegantly blends the old and new. The lofts feature baths with all glass showers and radiant floor heating. A true loft conversion that is always highly desired.

Massey Harris Lofts - 915 King Street West

The Massey Harris Lofts at 915 King Street West are known for their large windows

In 2002 Canderel-Stoneridge started this massive project, including the redevelopment of acres of old Massey-Harris industrial lands surrounding the office building. From this we got more than just the Massey Harris Lofts – the DNA 1 & 2 buildings are part of the project, as well as the aptly-named Massey Harris Park.

Massey Harris Lofts - 915 King Street West

Inside the Massey Harris Lofts at 915 King Street West

While much of the original building’s interior had been gutted, key architectural and design elements were retained wherever possible. Some of these features include: exposed brick walls; wood beams; over-sized bay windows; and pillars with cornice trim. The company’s vaults with barrel-shaped ceilings will be converted to washrooms in the seven units in which they are located. Those have to be seen to be believed!

Massey Harris Lofts - 915 King Street West

Detail of the frame for the old vault door, now turned into a bathroom

NB: The only other loft with such a feature is the old ball-bearing factory at 347 Sorauren. One of the lofts at the front of the building is the old office for the owner of the company. The bathroom in that unit is the old vault, complete with big metal door and all! And then there is the Boiler Factory Lofts at 189 Queen, where a big old wall-safe was turned into a closet. This is the beauty of converting old buildings, they are full of cool little surprises like this.

Massey Harris Lofts - 915 King Street West

Some of the Massey Harris Lofts have lovely views out over Massey Harris Park

Many of the lofts that have been converted in Toronto in the past decade or two have been conversions of industrial factories and warehouses possessing little historical significance (as I well understand when I do my research and find that some have nothing, no history, no record). In contrast, 915 King Street West was the corporate headquarters of one of Canada’s most well-known companies (with history stretching from King Street West to Jarvis Street). This 1885 office building designed with classic detailing and styling (by E. J. Lennox no less, one of Toronto most famous architects!) that set it far above the surrounding factory buildings.

Massey Harris Lofts - 915 King Street West

Kitchens are small but stylish in the Massey Harris Lofts

Unfortunately, as with many large manufacturing companies, the end was not a pleasant one. In the 1980s Massey-Ferguson and its new chairman and chief executive officer, Victor Rice, fought off collapse while the firm underwent three restructurings between 1981 and 1986. Renamed Varity Corporation in 1986, in surfaced from the remains of Massey-Ferguson. In 1991, the company officially moved to Buffalo (Williams-Butler House at 672 Delaware Avenue in the Millionaire Row area of Buffalo) and ceased to be a Canadian corporation. In 1994, in a deal worth $310-million in cash and stock, the farm equipment divisions of Varity were sold to the US-based AGCO Corporation who continue to use Massey-Ferguson as a product line today.

Massey Harris Lofts - 915 King Street West

One of the original vintage staircases inside the Massey Harris Lofts

The Massey Harris Lofts offer residents loft living with an exclusive boutique atmosphere like no other in Toronto. The lofts range in size from 450 to 1,000 square feet and used award-winning interior design firm Cecconi Simone to design the building’s interiors.

Massey Harris Lofts - 915 King Street West

Massey Harris Park, right next door to the Massey Harris Lofts

The lofts are located right beside Massey Harris Park, constructed by landscape architects to reflect a rural oasis in an urban setting. The park has natural grasses, a variety of intersecting pathways and boardwalks, a bocce pitch, a small water park for kids, drinking fountain for dogs plus artistic features. Liberty Village with all its amenities is located directly to the south of the Massey Harris lofts and the location makes it easy to access shopping along West Queen West. The King streetcar runs in front of the building providing easy access to the Financial and Entertainment Districts.

They don’t come up for sale often, and when they do they sure sell fast!

—————————————————————————————————–
Contact Laurin Jeffrey for more information – 416-388-1960

Laurin Jeffrey is a Toronto real estate agent with Century 21 Regal Realty.
He did not write every article, some are reproduced here for people who
are interested in Toronto real estate. He does not work for any builders.

—————————————————————————————————–