Women more likely to be first-time homebuyers, Canadian poll finds
Down payment a top concern among women
Mario Toneguzzi – Calgary Herald
Women are more likely than men to be first-time homebuyers among Canadians who plan to buy a home within the next two years, according to the 19th Annual RBC Homeownership Poll released Monday.
The poll said 49% of women and 35% of men plan to be first-time homebuyers.
“We are seeing more single women entering into the housing market, as income levels, changing demographics and lifestyle patterns shift purchasing habits,” said Marcia Moffat, head of home equity financing, RBC. “But women are being more cautious than men, weighing cost, affordability and job security before buying a home.”
Of the Canadians who have recently become first-time homebuyers, men and women were tied (47%) in saying affordability was the biggest concern that prevented them from purchasing a home earlier.
Other reasons that caused people to delay their first home purchase were: not interested/ready for home ownership, 25% women, 14% men; unsure of job security, 23% women, 15% men; and saving for a large down payment, 22% women, 14% men.
The survey also showed Canadian women (16%), regardless of whether it was their first home or not, were less likely to take on a variable mortgage compared with men (25%). Both sexes were similarly comfortable with the prospect of taking on a fixed-rate mortgage (women, 40%; men, 44%), which largely reflects the current trend where Canadians are now looking to lock in at historically low interest rates, said RBC.
Contact the Jeffrey Team for more information – 416-388-1960
Laurin & Natalie Jeffrey are Toronto Realtors with Century 21 Regal Realty.
They did not write these articles, they just reproduce them here for people
who are interested in Toronto real estate. They do not work for any builders.
- Affordability and job security most important factors for first-time homebuyers Canadians who are considering purchasing their first home are primarily...
- What Women Want It's essential for women to do their homework before they...
- First-time homebuyers want new, detached homes but expect a deal A majority of Canadians who just bought or are about...
- New report shows first-time homebuyers require more education Three out of four first-time homebuyers in Canada would benefit...
- Optimism returning to housing market, RBC survey finds Optimism is reflected in the most recent sales statistics –...