Canada June home price index rises for 7th month
* Home prices rise 1.7% in June from May
* Home prices up 4.5% from year earlier
* Index hits record high, 7th straight increase
Canadian home resale prices rose in June, their seventh consecutive monthly rise and the biggest jump since August 2009, according to a report.
The Teranet-National Bank Composite House Price Index, which measures price changes for repeat sales of single-family homes in six metropolitan areas, showed overall prices were up 1.7% in June from May.
Overall prices were up 4.5% from a year earlier.
The gain took the index to a new high of 144.27, with prices up for the third straight month in all six of the metropolitan markets surveyed.
“What is new is that in all six markets the June monthly rise was at least 1%, a first since April 2005. It was 2.0% in Toronto, 1.7% in Vancouver and Ottawa, 1.6% in Calgary, 1.1% in Montreal and 1.0% in Halifax,” Marc Pinsonneault, senior economist at National Bank Financial, wrote in the report.
For five of the six metropolitan areas, the indexes were at all-time highs. The exception was Calgary, which is still 10.9% off the high of August 2007.
The 12-month gain of 4.5%, barely more than the 4.4% of April and May.
“It may seem surprising that 12-month inflation has not been accelerating in step with the recent pace of monthly increases. The reason is that in May and June 2010 the composite index was gaining more than 1% monthly,” Pinsonneault noted.
In July, according to seasonally adjusted data from the Canadian Real Estate Association, market conditions were balanced in the country as a whole, but tight in Toronto.
The index tracks home prices over time for repeat sales, so properties with at least two sales are required in the calculations. The report did not provide actual prices.
Contact the Jeffrey Team for more information – 416−388−1960
Laurin & Natalie Jeffrey are Toronto Realtors with Century 21 Regal Realty.
They did not write these articles, they just reproduce them here for people
who are interested in Toronto real estate. They do not work for any builders.
- Home price index rises for sixth month in May Home resale prices in Canada notched their biggest monthly rise…
- Canada resale home price index up for 13th month Canadian home resale prices rose for a 13th straight month…
- Canada home resale price index up, no crash seen Canadian home resale prices climbed in March for an 11th…
- Canada resale home price index up sharply in April Canadian home resale prices rose in April for a 12th…
- Canada home-resale price index jumps in April The Teranet-National Bank Composite House Price Index, which measures price…