Summer Sales Strong
Toronto real estate agents report monthly resale housing market figures
Greater Toronto Realtors reported 10,850 transactions through the Toronto MLS System in May 2012 – an 11% increase over the 9,766 sales in May 2011. Sales growth was strongest in the ‘905’ regions surrounding the City of Toronto.
“Sales growth in the ‘905’ area code was stronger than growth in the City of Toronto across all major home types. While lower average prices are certainly one factor that has contributed to this trend, recent polling also suggests that the City of Toronto’s land transfer tax has also prompted many households to look outside of the City for their ownership housing needs,” said Toronto Real Estate Board (TREB) President Richard Silver.
New listings were up substantially on a year-over-year basis in May – rising by more than 20% to 19,177. The average price for May 2012 sales was $516,787, representing an annual increase of 6.5% compared to $485,362 in May 2011. Price growth continued to be driven by the low-rise market segment.
“Strong competition between buyers seeking to purchase low-rise home types drove strong price growth in May. However, if new listings continue to grow at the pace they did in May for the remainder of 2012, the annual rate of price growth should begin to moderate on a sustained basis,” said Jason Mercer, TREB’s Senior Manager of Market Analysis.
City of Toronto (“416″)
2012 Sales: 4,130 | Average Price: $568,768
2011 Sales: 3,871 | Average Price: $536,655
Rest of GTA (“905″)
2012 Sales: 6,720 | Average Price: $484,840
2011 Sales: 5,895 | Average Price: $451,680
2012 Sales: 10,850 | Average Price: $516,787
2011 Sales: 9,766 | Average Price: $485,362
Contact the Jeffrey Team for more information – 416−388−1960
Laurin & Natalie Jeffrey are Toronto Realtors with Century 21 Regal Realty.
They did not write these articles, they just reproduce them here for people
who are interested in Toronto real estate. They do not work for any builders.
- February Sales Stay Strong The Toronto real estate market became better supplied during the…
- April real estate sales bring May… Greater Toronto Realtors reported 4,557 transactions through the Toronto MLS…
- Strong real estate sales continued in July After adjusting for seasonal fluctuations, the July figure continued to…
- May Real Estate Blooms Greater Toronto Realtors reported 5,142 transactions through the Toronto MLS…
- Strong Sales Increases Continue in August In August 2009, Greater Toronto Realtors reported 8,035 sales, up…