How to Get The Maximum Amount When Selling
Okay, you’ve decided to list your house or condo for sale. Now what? Remember the importance of first impressions! The market isn’t the only factor that influences whether you get your asking price. The appearance and overall condition play a major role. We’re talking curb appeal, cleanliness and organization. Here’s a list of easy things you can do in a day or two to make your home much more appealing to Buyers.
Start with the Outside:
* It is estimated that more than half of all houses are sold before the Buyers even get out of their cars. So stand across the street from your house and review its curb appeal.
* Sweep the front walkway! Rake those leaves! Shovel the snow!
* Remove newspapers, bikes and toys.
* Park extra cars away from the property if possible or in the garage at times of showings.
* Trim back the shrubs and overgrown trees.
* Apply fresh, clean paint as needed on window & door frames as well as front and garage doors.
* Make sure roof and gutters are in good condition; no repairs needed. Clean the leaves out!
* Mow the lawn more frequently and plant some flowers. Even a potted plant on the porch looks more inviting.
* Keep pet areas clean.
Now the Inside:
* Touch up any paint or give a fresh coat to areas that are a little worn.
* Clean your windows â€“ what a difference this makes.
* Keep plumbing in working order â€“ fix those faucet drips!
* Clean and keep appliances in working order.
* Ensure your caulking on windows, tubs, showers, sinks, etc. is in good condition. If not, re-caulk.
* Kitchen and bathroom should be sparkling clean and uncluttered.
* Quick once-over with the vacuum; carpets should be clean â€“ maybe steam clean them.
* Vacuum or wash any window coverings throughout.
* Place fresh flowers in the main rooms.
* Put dishes away, unless setting a formal display for decoration.
* Make beds and put all clothes away.
* Open drapes and turn on lights for a brighter feel.
* Straighten and de-clutter closets (a good idea is to organize hanging clothes by colour).
* Put toys away.
* Turn off television.
* Play soft music on the radio/stereo.
* Keep pets out of the way and pet areas clean and odor free.
* Secure jewelry, cash, prescription medication and other valuables.
* Enhance the spaciousness of each room. Pack away collectables and family photos to allow buyer to envision own furnishings in home. De-personalize everything.
Now – Take a deep breath and get ready to sell your home!